St. George Orthodox church at Mattanchery was the first church of Christians in Kerala, set in A.D.1615. Years of negligence and encroachment left this historic monument in shambles. The head of the Christian sect of Kerala (His Holiness Moran Mar Baselious Marthoma Paulose-II) took a brave step in rebuilding this monument, keeping the foundation intact.
The concept of domes, vaults and arches rose from early symbols of eastern Christianity.
The concept of the MarThoma cross finally ending in an altar blessed by a "cross of light" made with twisting earth blocks.
The construction required constant supervision and expertise.
The masons received training by the architect himself in building with Compressed Stabilised Earth Blocks using ancient Nubian technology of arch and vault building without extensive shuttering (revitalised in early 20th century by Ar.Hassan Fathy).